We continue to see gloomy weather in DC and I think we’re still reeling from the announcement that Senator Boxer will not be running for re-election this cycle (coincidence?). I hope you’re having a good start to the work week wherever you’re situated!
- The US Senate has always been considered an exclusive club. Can you believe that there have only been 44 women who have ever served? 44 – EVER in the history of the US Senate. With the recent announcement from Senator Boxer that she would not seek re-election to his Senate seat, is this a chance for another woman to take a place in HERstory? Reading this recent Politico article about the women who have served in this elected body was quite fascinating and I thank all of them for all of their work in making the Senate a more equal institution. We still have a long way to go but these women have certainly paved the way.
- Most of you know that I advocate mentoring/championing those who are less experienced. As a woman of color, I especially believe that we need to support one another and teach those who would benefit from our experiences. Finding mentors within our communities shouldn’t be challenging yet this article shows that it can be quite a hurdle.
- I’m currently working with a mentee on her cover letter which we now call the pain letter (which I discussed in an earlier post) and we’re looking at negotiating salary. Here are a few articles that may help in the process: what not to say and if you’re starting your 1st or 2nd job as well as lessons from a poker player to get into the mental game. I’ve now started humming the Kenny Rogers song. Since I’m in politics and overlap into the land of public policy where public service tends to pay less than the corporate scale, be mindful of comparing industries.
- Although I’m no longer a young professional, I could heed some of these time management tips myself!
- The changing electorate = Democrats and Republicans need to talk to non-Caucasian voters.
- Ever wonder where the White House press corps hangs out while they cover the President when he does his annual vacation to Hawaii? Look no further!
Thanks fore reading/sharing! If you don’t want to miss a post, remember to subscribe!