We’re experiencing an arctic freeze here on the east coast and all I can think about is warming up! If you got any spare sunshine and balmy temperatures, please send them my way 🙂
Here’s Tuesday Truths!
- In the course of several informational interviews and mentoring sessions, I often get asked about how to reach out to a contact that has been out of touch. Of course, it’s challenging to keep up with everyone. Generally, it’s a good idea to have a kitchen cabinet of sorts to let people know of your career updates (it takes a village to get anything done!) so if possible, all the key people in your professional life should be a part of this list and it’s not so awkward to reach out to them when you have an ASK. If you haven’t had a chance to incorporate this as part of your professional updates, then here are tips to make it less awkward.
- I tend to think in teams; whether it’s a small team of me +1 or if it’s a team of 100 and we’re all in service to an agreed upon goal. Getting feedback from past team members shows me why they liked working in this kind of atmosphere. They felt that we were all in it together. I may have been the leader but everyone felt that they were leaders with their own purpose to meeting the goals. When things don’t go the way you want (metrics are not met etc), you need to learn how to course correct and that means having tough conversations with people of the team to see how we can all learn from these kinds of situations. You don’t have to be a hard@ss to get your point across and when I’ve had these kinds of conversations, I take responsibility in how I may have played a role in the current situation. Here’s how nice women can get ahead when asking the right questions.
- With the start of the new year, there’s always a sense of optimism and sometimes that can carry us through the 1st week, the 1st month, the 1st quarter but oftentimes, it can wane and when you need a moment to get yourself back into focus, you realize that you can overcome low points of your life. Using these tips can help you move forward and feel like it’s the start of something new again.
- A video to remind you about how you should define success! A common theme for success is its definition and by that it means however YOU define it and not allowing anyone else to tell you otherwise. #truthbomb
- I’m a big believer in the WHY – Why is it important to do mundane tasks to achieve a bigger picture! This helps me to better understand and become more invested in my goals. Become enthralled with the WHY and you’ll recognize what’s really important to you.
- Calling all future managers – here’s how you help your team succeed and prepare them for failures and growth potential. Help them build their confidence constructively and give them specific encouragement and critique so that they can see how their actions make a difference.
- The art of listening and speaking, otherwise sometimes known as having a conversation. It can be casual or it can be in a professional setting but no matter what, it’s important to actively listen and be in command when you speak.
Thanks for reading/sharing and get a friend to subscribe!