Photo credit via
What do I love about the month of May? It’s APIA Heritage Month and celebrating all the wonderful accomplishments and reflecting on the challenges that my community faces along with the solutions that we create. It’s a time to honor those who have blazed the trail for us and to recognize those who continue to do the work. It’s such a great way to see the past and look to the future.
Before we dive into Tuesday Truths, can you do a big favor and fill out the readers survey?? It will help me get you the kind of material that will be helpful to you! Thank you!
Here’s Tuesday Truths!
- Speaking of the future, how much do I love that Asian Fortune highlighted 50 Young Asian American Stars in Politics? I’ve had the pleasure of working with a lot of the Democrats/progressives featured in this article and I consider them my brothers and sisters. They’ve got knowledge to drop and you should get to know them!
- There are going to be times when you have doubts and wonder if you’re headed in the wrong direction. Here are a few warning signs that you can self-assess on what you’re doing and where you’re going. So if you find yourself in a situation where you need to re-invent or turn yourself around, here are ways you can course correct – no matter what age!
- We’re headed into intern season, the time to shape a young person’s mind and professional work experience (said *tongue in cheek* but not really.) Even if you don’t spend a lot of time with the interns or the younger members of the staff, it’s imperative to learn the myriad of ways you can be a leader. Learn about these habits and how they can bring out the best in others.
- I did a training a few weeks ago where I was recently asked about, “If the updates in technology have changed the way we do voter contact” and my opinion is that engagement is really about how others want to engage, especially when you’re thinking about targeting voters who have a high propensity to vote. It’s important to not rely on just technology to get your message out. The more traditional routes can be less sexy, however you still need to talk with people who continue to use the more traditional tools to get their information. Use Twitter and the other social media tools to your advantage but don’t let it ruin your perspective to talk with those who prefer other ways to communicate. I’ve fallen down the Snap Chat rabbit hole, so if you want to get an idea of what it’s really like to be a political consultant, follow me at madalene.mielke!
- To really live the life you want, there is a sh*t ton of hard work you need to do to get be successful. There are so many obstacles and there are times when you’re just so exhausted that you think that you can’t possibly do anymore. Are you truly moving forward or are you achieving the steps that you need to get you to where you want to be? The doubts abound and when you need to assess your current situation, take a moment to see if you’re headed in the direction towards success.
- Gotta give BIG props to the Honorable Geraldine Roman, the 1st openly transgender elected official in the federal government for the Philippines. #breakingbarriers
- Before I sign off, did you do the readers survey? I’d most appreciate it!
Thank you for reading/sharing and letting me know your thoughts and comments!