Photo credit via
I’m back in the office after taking a few days off to visit with family up and down New England. Lots of driving the past few weeks for me so I’m happy to relinquish the car for at least a few days and be still. While I was “off”, I was also notified that my information may have been hacked due to the security breach at the DCCC (fun times!) and lo and behold, I started getting random phone calls (like disgusting racist ones) and lots and lots of spam texts and emails. Needless to say, I spent the majority of one morning changing passwords and dealing with the crazy. This definitely is not when #politicscanbefun 🙁
Here’s Tuesday Truths!
- I’m still going strong watching the Olympics and more than ever, I’ve become more aware of the inherent sexism that is prevalent in sports. I didn’t grow up in a time when organized sports was considered a normal part of life. I ran cross country and track when I was in high school and the girls shared the same coach with the boys. With the same regard to equality that women face in other industries, we need men to also talk about it when it shows up in their lives. I think gold medal tennis athlete Andy Murray gets a thumbs up for doing just that when he was interviewed after winning his gold medal match. Even the Women’s Olympics Basketball Coach (who is a dude) has to explain to reporters that the team shouldn’t apologize for dominating the sport. There are women role models that young men can look up to such as Michelle Carter, Simone Manuel, Sarah Robles, Gabby Douglas, Katie Ladecky, and Simone Biles. Everyone needs to remember that their accomplishments are worthy of the lead headline! Speaking of Gabby Douglas, did you know that she has her own Barbie doll??
- This has been such a crazy year in politics. I can’t wait to see the results and how political scientists will assess the environment for the history books. As a political science major in college, we learned of the historic pendulums that led to the dominance of the Democratic and Republican parties and to live during a time with so much history being made, I enjoy reading about people’s experiences on the campaign trail. MSNBC/NBC Reporter Katy Tur discusses her adventure covering the Trump campaign and it is WILD! Major props to her and to all of those who live the road warrior life.
- If ever there’s a time when I need inspiration to live a more authentic life, I see Baddie Winkle as my spirit animal. She’s a BADASS and I would want to live my life as freely as she lives hers. She has no problems being herself. At 88 years young, she has lived a lifetime where she can give zero F*cks so, why wait?
- I can not say enough good things about Cindy Gallop. She is so fascinating and completely down to tell you like it is because she likes to “blow sh*t up”. She’s the self described Michael Bay of business and she’s adamant about bringing fellow women entrepreneurs with her. She’s my ultimate woman crush (can it be Wednesday and I can #WCW her?). She has lessons to teach on how women can be confident AF and attain power that we deserve. Download her guest spot on the Mentoring Moments podcast series!
- If you’re looking for inspiring women of color, check out the movie that highlights the African American women mathematicians who worked for NASA in the 1950s. Coming in January 2017, it combines so many aspects of awesomeness: space travel, #blackgirlmagic, & science!
- Gender is leading the way for Election 2016 and women have the ability to influence the ballot box. What are the important issues that you face as a woman that you think matter in this election? Much has been said about women voting for a woman candidate but how does that translate in the workforce? Does having women in senior leadership positions matter? (I think you know my answer!) You may be surprised with the outcome of a recent survey about how women feel about other women in leadership positions.
- As we head into an especially stressful time for me (there are 83 days left!), here are some ideas that you can use to de-stress for free! If you’re looking for an election day counter, you can find it here 🙂 How do you relax or take a moment for yourself? I sometimes play music or read – did you catch President Obama’s Summer 2016 playlists?! He shared both his daytime and evening versions as well as his choices for reading materials. #thanksObama
Thanks for reading/sharing and drop me a note in the comments!