We’re so close! 2 more weeks and this Election will be DONE-ZO! I’m still raising and collecting money and having meetings to ask for more moo-laaaah. It’s an exciting time and I’m ready to take a break so we can go back to governing. 2017 will be a great year to renew and recharge. I’m excited to see what that time will bring.
Here’s Tuesday Truths!
- I’ve been working with a lot of women in politics and I’m honored that a lot of them have become friends. Politics has a way of permeating my personal life and there are times when I’m “competing” for work with my fellow consultants. I’m all up for competition because I don’t see it as pitting women against women. We make each other better by always bringing our “A” game and I admire those women who make me become a better version of myself. Roxane Gay breaks it down like no other when she lists the rules of women friendships. Read it, memorize it, take notes, and live it!
- Being the boss can seem like a lofty goal and once you reach for that title, it also means that you’re responsible for people’s performances. Your ability to create a team is a result of how you manage people’s roles and motivate them to do their best work. If you’ve been promoted, review this checklist and if you need to re-engage your team, it’s a good marker for how you can improve in certain areas. A lot of people talk about how they want to join the Arum Group staff because of my staff lunches. It’s my way to thank the team and to be in a social setting so that we can talk in a more casual setting about the work we’re doing.
- We know that we don’t have enough women in every facet of leadership. We’re only just now getting a women President (I’m trying really really hard to not count my chickens before they hatch but I can’t help it, we’re so close!!) and when it comes to industries that have always been male dominated, how do we as women stand tall and create space for ourselves and for future women colleagues? Here are strategies that were shared at the United State of Women confab over the summer. If you feel that you need someone to talk with about how you can take up space, give me a holler and I’m happy to commiserate!
- Lest we forget that we live in times where women are still feared for being powerful, we only need to turn on the news, however it’s important to realize that the insults that women have had to endure have been around forever. Why is it that men feel the need to insult women? Women’s looks are deemed “fair game” while that’s not something most men banter about to one another when they’re trading barbs. A number of qualities such as niceness, the ability to have children, stamina and a myriad of things only attributed to women candidates are considered negatives, but as we move through the modern era and women voters are making their voices heard, maybe male candidates will finally realize that those aren’t the talking points that the electorate wants to hear.
- This election season has been polled, polled, and polled some more, but you do you really know what it all means? Trust me, polling is a highly methodical scientific process (I’m not sure if a Drudge “poll” really counts with all of the scientific mumbo jumbo). There are a lot of paid campaign staff who have never seen a poll with the cross tabs and the breakdown of the methodology so when you’re talking with a civilian about all of the factors that go into the survey, the composition of the people in the sample size aka demographics, and the course of time it took to run the poll, you’re talking about the methodology of the poll. Want to learn more about what goes into a poll then read this handy dandy guide on how to read the latest polls.
- I’ve talked previously about having imposter syndrome. I find that as I’ve aged that it happens less frequently but I do have to remind myself every now and again that I’m a well seasoned woman int my 40s although there are times I think that I’m closer to my 20 something self. There is also much to be said for also being a woman of color and how you can overcome the symptoms so that you can be your authentic self. Read these tips to bring your confidence to the surface.
- Even as a woman who has reached the highest levels of leadership in world renown corporations, Sallie Krawcheck was muted due to her high profile successes by male supervisors and in her case, a CEO! It is ridiculous that executives would “punish” a member of their executive team for having a positive image outside of work. We need to be celebrating more, not less when women achieve accomplishments that were once only relegated to the men in their companies.
Thanks for reading/sharing and let me know what tips you would share!